Indigo Delight

Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome aboard Indigo Airlines. We are currently cruising at an altitude of 36,000 feet, traveling at an approximate speed of 590 Kms/Hr. At the current rate, we are expected to touch down in Mumbai some 12 minutes past 2pm, subject to traffic over Mumbai airport. I hope our wonderful in-flight attendants are treating you well. On behalf of the entire Indigo family, I wish to Thank You again for choosing Indigo and hope to see you more often.

These were the words of Captain Behl, which I heard on board the Indigo Flight 6E-414, enroute from Bengaluru to Mumbai. This was probably my 5th or 6th journey with this airline and I must that I have enjoyed almost every moment of each journey. Indigo has not only offered me the most economical tickets on multiple occasions, but also maintained a 90% arrival accuracy whenever I have traveled with them. What more could a middle class, low-cost traveler ask for.

The white and blue stripes of the airline and a similar dress code followed by the airhostesses, blend well with the clean aircraft, which has just about enough leg space for a tall guy like me. The food served is a little too expensive, but I tasted it once and it was quite fresh. So, if you are on a long flight and don’t mind dishing out Rs 150/- for a sandwich, you will not be disappointed.

This journey though was a wee-bit more entertaining, thanks to the main In-flight attendant, Ms. Stuti Kumar, who obviously wasn’t traveling with her favorite captain. It all started as the captain, interrupted her “Welcome” announcement, at which point she cutely slammed the phone and went on to close the cock-pit door. The little duel continued over the duration of the journey and was quite obvious to any passenger who keenly listened to the in-flight announcements. :)

At around 2pm, we started hovering close to our destination. Watching Mumbai from the air is just a wonderful sight. A slight hint of rain in the air made the descent even more adventurous, as the flight had to make its way through a sea of white and grey fluffy clouds. The gushing water of the Thane creek and the puddles of water all around, provided enough proof that the rain gods had been showering their blessings all morning. The little cars and BEST buses plying on the soaked roads, make you nostalgic and the distant view of tall sky-scrappers in South Mumbai, remind you that you are just about to land in the largest metro city in the country, which is also it’s financial capital.
Then, as predicted, the aircraft touched down on the tarmac at Mumbai airport at exactly 2:13pm. What a prediction!!!

As we landed, the customary announcement regarding the outside weather and a sincere request to “remain seated and keep your mobile phones off” was made. But, this is Mumbai. As the plane was taxiing off the runaway, 85% of the Blackberrys and mobile phones were buzzing. By the time, the plane came to a stop, atleast 50 calls had been made to the colleagues and relatives of those waiting outside, telling them “I have landed safely and I am still in the aircraft”

This always reminds me of an incident that my brother Maneesh told me off during his flight from New-York to Mumbai. He said almost 95% of the passengers were Indian, and the pilot had to make the following announcement before taking off –
Ladies and Gentlemen, I know all of you are very busy. But I am not moving this aircraft unless all those Blackberry’s are tuned off!!!.......Thank you for your co-operation

Coming back to my story…… By the time, we boarded the bus to take us from the aircraft to the terminal building, almost every second person was on the phone making plans for the evening. I for one am quite lazy. I only turned on my phone when I was in the bus and my amazingly fast mobile phone didn’t turn on until I received my baggage!!

All said and done……as I strolled out of the airport on that Friday afternoon in my beloved city, I could smell the polluted air, hear the noise and chaos that one can only associate with Mumbai. I was hit by the fiercest of rains as I crossed Bandra, in an autorickshaw. But that didn’t hamper me much. All that ran through my head was the thought of spending the next whole week with my family and friends, meeting someone special, feasting on meals of fish and chicken and sleeping……aah…..Whattalife!!!

Comments

Nishat said…
Kab mil raha hain ??? I will be in mumbai on saturday and sunday.

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....