Highway on my plate
It was a fine Monday evening. I reached home early from office under the assumption that I would complete the rest of my tasks by logging in from home. I had also made up my mind to have a 'lite' dinner, to combat my recent weight gain that I had been made aware off, on multiple occasions by my near and dear ones'.
Nishat walked in at around 7:45pm. He has been sharing the 'lite dinner' idea ever since I've known him. Infact, he is one step ahead and often practices the 'NO dinner' idea!!
So the two of us sat down in front of the tele and started surfing through some channels. After some 115 clicks, my fingers finally stopped, for some unexplainable and mysterious reason, at the 'NDTV Good Times' channel, on which the program "Highway on my Plate" happened to be running. This show follows two huge looking guys, as they roam around on India's intricate network of State and National Highways'. On their way, they stop over at almost every famous dhaba and roadside stall and relish the wonderful delicacies that are on offer. Not only do they enjoy the delicious food, but also educate us, a wee bit, on the history and geography of the place.
Come to think of it.....this could have been my dream job....but nahhh........as a famous hindi movie hero would say - "Mausii....Jiske naseeb mein potato chips hain, woh tandoori chicken ke sapne nahi dekh sakta!!". (I know the dialogue is completely irrelevant, but I guess you guys got the idea!!)
Coming back to the living room.....These guys, yesterday, happened to be in Kerala and close to some beach in Cochin. They were enjoying some yummy chaat with the locals and the sight of two fatsos' relishing some yummy dishes, that looked like the 'ragda' we get in Mumbai, was simply too tempting to the two of us. We still resisted for a while. I kept telling myself - "Lite dinner Prasan....lite dinner!!"
After the break, the guys moved on to some halwas, and that point of time, we simply got up and decided to go to Karthik's for some chaat. We called up Aashish and weren't too surprised that he too was watching the same program!!. He told us that he just had a very heavy snack ,with Akash, and hence would only give us company and not eat anything. He asked us to meet him in 15 minutes and that gave me enough time to showcase my skills on Nishat's Pulsar, which I know believe is a very very heavy bike compared to my Activa!!
Some 20 minutes later, the three of us found ourselves on Old Madras road in Aashish's Maruti 800 heading towards the Karthiks' mithai shop near BDA. For those of you who are wondering what a Mithai shop has got to do with chaat??.......well T.I.B (This is Bengaluru!!).
On the way we spoke about some very interesting 'old' hindi movies like Khamosh and Kanoon and even joked about our careers in a philosophical manner. Remember one thing my friends, when guys like us start making philosophical sense, it means only one thing - WE ARE HUNGRY!!
Soon, we found oursleves at Karthik's gulping down some tasty pani-puri followed by dahi and sev puri. Nishat has already set his eyes on the 'cake-walk' shop next door. I wondered when was the last time we had convinced Nishat to stay away from sweets....and the answer was - NEVER.
So, we found oursleves treating ourselves to two pastries. We also picked up a doughnut, in fond memory of the one and only 'Homer Simpson'.
Hence, as a debutant on the 'lite dinner' campaign, I found myself ending the day in a pastry shop!!
But I havn't given up hope. On the way back, I told myself that '1st December' would be a nice day to re-kindle my spirit....all I needed to do for starters was to introduce some discipline in my life!!
No No....don't worry guys....I am not talking about skipping breakfast, lunch or supper...I was only referring to 'not watching' "Highway on my Plate" in the evenings, henceforth.
So wish me well....
Nishat walked in at around 7:45pm. He has been sharing the 'lite dinner' idea ever since I've known him. Infact, he is one step ahead and often practices the 'NO dinner' idea!!
So the two of us sat down in front of the tele and started surfing through some channels. After some 115 clicks, my fingers finally stopped, for some unexplainable and mysterious reason, at the 'NDTV Good Times' channel, on which the program "Highway on my Plate" happened to be running. This show follows two huge looking guys, as they roam around on India's intricate network of State and National Highways'. On their way, they stop over at almost every famous dhaba and roadside stall and relish the wonderful delicacies that are on offer. Not only do they enjoy the delicious food, but also educate us, a wee bit, on the history and geography of the place.
Come to think of it.....this could have been my dream job....but nahhh........as a famous hindi movie hero would say - "Mausii....Jiske naseeb mein potato chips hain, woh tandoori chicken ke sapne nahi dekh sakta!!". (I know the dialogue is completely irrelevant, but I guess you guys got the idea!!)
Coming back to the living room.....These guys, yesterday, happened to be in Kerala and close to some beach in Cochin. They were enjoying some yummy chaat with the locals and the sight of two fatsos' relishing some yummy dishes, that looked like the 'ragda' we get in Mumbai, was simply too tempting to the two of us. We still resisted for a while. I kept telling myself - "Lite dinner Prasan....lite dinner!!"
After the break, the guys moved on to some halwas, and that point of time, we simply got up and decided to go to Karthik's for some chaat. We called up Aashish and weren't too surprised that he too was watching the same program!!. He told us that he just had a very heavy snack ,with Akash, and hence would only give us company and not eat anything. He asked us to meet him in 15 minutes and that gave me enough time to showcase my skills on Nishat's Pulsar, which I know believe is a very very heavy bike compared to my Activa!!
Some 20 minutes later, the three of us found ourselves on Old Madras road in Aashish's Maruti 800 heading towards the Karthiks' mithai shop near BDA. For those of you who are wondering what a Mithai shop has got to do with chaat??.......well T.I.B (This is Bengaluru!!).
On the way we spoke about some very interesting 'old' hindi movies like Khamosh and Kanoon and even joked about our careers in a philosophical manner. Remember one thing my friends, when guys like us start making philosophical sense, it means only one thing - WE ARE HUNGRY!!
Soon, we found oursleves at Karthik's gulping down some tasty pani-puri followed by dahi and sev puri. Nishat has already set his eyes on the 'cake-walk' shop next door. I wondered when was the last time we had convinced Nishat to stay away from sweets....and the answer was - NEVER.
So, we found oursleves treating ourselves to two pastries. We also picked up a doughnut, in fond memory of the one and only 'Homer Simpson'.
Hence, as a debutant on the 'lite dinner' campaign, I found myself ending the day in a pastry shop!!
But I havn't given up hope. On the way back, I told myself that '1st December' would be a nice day to re-kindle my spirit....all I needed to do for starters was to introduce some discipline in my life!!
No No....don't worry guys....I am not talking about skipping breakfast, lunch or supper...I was only referring to 'not watching' "Highway on my Plate" in the evenings, henceforth.
So wish me well....
Comments
A very good description dude.