Prarambh
Last month, one evening, I was waiting for my order to arrive in 'The Imli' restaurant and happened to walk over to the end of the hall which housed a few books and magazines. I picked up a copy of the Outlook magazine and started to read some of the articles.
Soon, I was engrossed in the data that was reported on the Karnataka elections, which the Congress had won with a majority to the latest updates from the BJP camp on NaMo. What was also astonishing for me, to read, was that the state of India with maximum economic growth in the last financial year was not Gujarat, but Orissa - especially with the work that Naveen Patnaik was doing there without much fanfare. All of a sudden I had become a fan of the publication and went home and told wifey what all I had read and announced that I was subscribing to the same immediately, to which she proudly replied, "I love your never ending thirst for knowledge!"
Three weeks into my subscription, I haven't been disappointed with my decision.
Just today morning I read an article written by celebrated author Aravind Adiga on some Marathi authors' who have been lost in time. Amongst his tales he mentions a book by the name Prarambh, by Gangadhar Gadgil, which is based in 16th century Mumbai and talks of an influx of Maharashtrians' from Pune and how they worked with the Parsis, then, to create what we see today as a cosmopolitan Mumbai. They were open-minded business men who embraced topics like women's education and free press. They apparently welcomed the Gujaratis and Marvadis, who worked alongside them, something which we can see even today in modern day Zaveri Bazaar. Amongst other tales that he talks about, in the article, he does make an interesting point. He goes on to say - 'The day you start to learn Marathi, a table will be added for you in every cafe in the city'
Some may take that in the literal sense, but what it basically means that the minute you start to think of Mumbai as your home, you will feel the city embrace you back in kind. I have seen Hindus, Muslims, Gujaratis, Marvadis, Tamilians and even Sikhs live side by side and celebrate Ganesh chaturthi, Eid, Dasheera, Pongal and Baisakhi as one big family. Despite the recent attacks on North Indians I still feel Mumbai is one of the safest cities in India and has a big heart to welcome anyone who wants to fall in love with it.
Infact, the above philosophy applies not just to Mumbai. If we all come to Bengaluru and start expecting vada pav vendors and bhel puri stalls to come up on the streets, we will be highly disappointed. This will lead to further frustration when you realize that people here have rice, even for breakfast and rotis are some kind of a novelty in the southern states of India. Instead, if you simple enjoy the rice, idlis' and dosas' and put in a little exercise you will actually start to fall in love with the city. You will, suddenly, realize how much greenery there is around you and sink into this amazing weather.
Infact, the above philosophy applies not just to Mumbai. If we all come to Bengaluru and start expecting vada pav vendors and bhel puri stalls to come up on the streets, we will be highly disappointed. This will lead to further frustration when you realize that people here have rice, even for breakfast and rotis are some kind of a novelty in the southern states of India. Instead, if you simple enjoy the rice, idlis' and dosas' and put in a little exercise you will actually start to fall in love with the city. You will, suddenly, realize how much greenery there is around you and sink into this amazing weather.
I have embraced this city as my home now and have no regrets. I can understand and also speak a little bit of kannada, which I am still working to improve. Soon, I picture myself sitting on the 6th floor of my flat, looking out at the greenery at a distance, sipping some hot coffee and reading the latest issue of Outlook - aahhhh Bliss I say.....
Comments