Montessori Magic

"So, what do we do this weekend?", a question that almost every couple will need to ask themselves very commonly in a city like Bangalore. Go out to meet friends', catch up on a movie, go to a mall and do some shopping or simply relax at home and cook something delicious. Well, when you have a partner who works as a Montessori Trainer, every once in a while you get to spend the weekend doing something a tad bit out of the ordinary...

So wifey had to submit her final Culture module project and she came up with various activities that involved the use of colours, shapes, alphabets and numbers. Like a good husband I too decided to help her out with whatever I could offer, and in exchange educate myself a little more on the Montessori way of Learning.

Every since she took up her new role, I have been pretty impressed with this new age way of learning for kids. Whether it involves the learning of numbers using shapes....

Or decorating your favourite alphabet with little coloured strips of paper, which in parallel activate the Sensory skills of Touch and Sight in a little kid...


I think this method of teaching is here to stay and will soon give rise to a new breed to youngsters' who I firmly believe will become natural visionaries.

On my part, I was asked to help out with the drawing and cutting up of different shapes and, like a good Consulting Engineer, I picked 5 of which 4 were very easy (Square, Rectangle, Triangle and Trapezium) and 1 which was a wee bit difficult (Pentagon), to show that I did a lot of work.


I had to look online to see how to draw a Pentagon from a circle with exact measurements and also thought of dividing the chart paper into 5 and drawing out parellel lines such that I could cut 10 rectangles with least amount of effort. Something which I have, honestly, not done for decades!!

All in all, I felt it was a pretty amazing weekend all thanks to wifey dearest....to put it one word, I would say it was simply "Therapeutic".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....