Nostalgia.....and fine Dining!!
Last friday, Aashish gave me a call and invited me over to his place for dinner and an overnight stay. He informed me that our college friend Varun had come down from mumbai and was planning to spend a day at their place. My other option for spending the friday evening, was to stay in my PG room and watch a movie alone. So no prizes for guessing which option I choose. The prospect of catching up on old college days and dining on Ami's amazing cooking overpowered all my emotions of laziness and I spontaneously decided to make the 16kms journey to BEML gate.
I had to go home to pick up some spare clothes for the next day and on the way brought a jar of rasagollas from the KC Das shop, near my place. Later, I came to know that this was Ami's favorite sweetdish. Considering all the tasty food she had fed me on my last two visits to their place, this was the least I could do for my bhabhi (she hates being called this!!!)
I left late from home and managed to reach his place in little over 35mins. During peak hours the same distance would have taken me anywhere between 1 to 2 hrs!!! By the time I reached, I was so hungry that I just pounced on the pastry that Aashish offered me. Apparently, that piece was left because Varun and Ami weren't sure if it was an eggless cake, and I thank god for that confusion. I was told that dinner was still getting ready and hence I finished of a bunch of grapes while we sat and chatted.
Meeting Varun after so much time was great. We talked about our professions for starters. I believe he is doing quite well as a marketing manager and is all set to take his family owned business to the next level. I remember interacting with him in my previous company and it was a pleasure to take some credit for the partnership that was forged between his firm and my ex-employers who are both doing quite well in the manufacturing fields.
I feel the word 'amazing' is not enough to describe Ami's hand cooked dinner that followed. Tasty food coupled with the fact that I hadn't had home cooked meal for weeks made this dinner memorable. If my memory serves me correct, I ate atleast 5 theplas, with double servings of potato bhaji and yummy methi mutter panner, followed by two small helpings of rice and dal. I wasn't finished as yet. I topped it up with two rasagollas and a few more bunches of the grapes......phew....I guess I lived up to my nickname - RAVAN :)
Than came the best part. The four of us just spent the next few hours talking about college days and what our other esteemed classmates were upto. The nostalgia continued late into the night. In between we also passed our expert comments on the singing styles of 'Little Champs' which was running on Zee TV and cursed Aaj Tak for their pathetic news reports. We finally started discussing about our job profile details. Varun came up with strong fluid mechanics stuff, Asshish added a few networking protocols to it and than when I started telling about my chip design technicals....all fell asleep!!!!
The next day I woke up to have an amazing breakfast which comprised of 5 tomato omlettes and a few kellogs choco smacks. We had planned to go out for shopping since Varun wanted to shop around before this Taiwan trip on sunday. So I took a bath at around 12, which definately clocks as the one of the earliest time I have taken a bath on a saturday. We had a big debate before finalising our mode of transport to marthahalli. The winner was the city taxi service which eventually cost us Rs 300/-, 50 bucks over the pre-negotiated price.
We shopped around for shoes and trousers. I ended up picking up a pair of floaters and a pair of jeans for myself since I got a good bargain. We returned at round 3pm, and I realised that my digestive track had made good work of the 5 tomato omlettes I had in the morning, which basically means that I was hungry again. Pizzas were ordered cause we didn't want Ami to start cooking again. I gulped down a burger, three slices of thin crust pizza, one veg nugget and couple of fries. I than dropped of Varun at the airport, wished him luck for his Taiwan visit and headed home.
I am sure that those of you who read this, must be thinking that my nickname should have been BAKASURA instead of RAVAN, but I my defense I must say that thats all I had for the day. For dinner I just had one of my mom's rava ladoo and slept off after watching 'Runaway Jury'
I had to go home to pick up some spare clothes for the next day and on the way brought a jar of rasagollas from the KC Das shop, near my place. Later, I came to know that this was Ami's favorite sweetdish. Considering all the tasty food she had fed me on my last two visits to their place, this was the least I could do for my bhabhi (she hates being called this!!!)
I left late from home and managed to reach his place in little over 35mins. During peak hours the same distance would have taken me anywhere between 1 to 2 hrs!!! By the time I reached, I was so hungry that I just pounced on the pastry that Aashish offered me. Apparently, that piece was left because Varun and Ami weren't sure if it was an eggless cake, and I thank god for that confusion. I was told that dinner was still getting ready and hence I finished of a bunch of grapes while we sat and chatted.
Meeting Varun after so much time was great. We talked about our professions for starters. I believe he is doing quite well as a marketing manager and is all set to take his family owned business to the next level. I remember interacting with him in my previous company and it was a pleasure to take some credit for the partnership that was forged between his firm and my ex-employers who are both doing quite well in the manufacturing fields.
I feel the word 'amazing' is not enough to describe Ami's hand cooked dinner that followed. Tasty food coupled with the fact that I hadn't had home cooked meal for weeks made this dinner memorable. If my memory serves me correct, I ate atleast 5 theplas, with double servings of potato bhaji and yummy methi mutter panner, followed by two small helpings of rice and dal. I wasn't finished as yet. I topped it up with two rasagollas and a few more bunches of the grapes......phew....I guess I lived up to my nickname - RAVAN :)
Than came the best part. The four of us just spent the next few hours talking about college days and what our other esteemed classmates were upto. The nostalgia continued late into the night. In between we also passed our expert comments on the singing styles of 'Little Champs' which was running on Zee TV and cursed Aaj Tak for their pathetic news reports. We finally started discussing about our job profile details. Varun came up with strong fluid mechanics stuff, Asshish added a few networking protocols to it and than when I started telling about my chip design technicals....all fell asleep!!!!
The next day I woke up to have an amazing breakfast which comprised of 5 tomato omlettes and a few kellogs choco smacks. We had planned to go out for shopping since Varun wanted to shop around before this Taiwan trip on sunday. So I took a bath at around 12, which definately clocks as the one of the earliest time I have taken a bath on a saturday. We had a big debate before finalising our mode of transport to marthahalli. The winner was the city taxi service which eventually cost us Rs 300/-, 50 bucks over the pre-negotiated price.
We shopped around for shoes and trousers. I ended up picking up a pair of floaters and a pair of jeans for myself since I got a good bargain. We returned at round 3pm, and I realised that my digestive track had made good work of the 5 tomato omlettes I had in the morning, which basically means that I was hungry again. Pizzas were ordered cause we didn't want Ami to start cooking again. I gulped down a burger, three slices of thin crust pizza, one veg nugget and couple of fries. I than dropped of Varun at the airport, wished him luck for his Taiwan visit and headed home.
I am sure that those of you who read this, must be thinking that my nickname should have been BAKASURA instead of RAVAN, but I my defense I must say that thats all I had for the day. For dinner I just had one of my mom's rava ladoo and slept off after watching 'Runaway Jury'
Comments