Moms' will be Moms'....

I guess it will be a very happy moment for every mother to enter her son's 'home away from home' for the very first time. I am also guessing that it marks a very important stage for a mother to tag her son as 'grown up' and hence it becomes her prime responsibility to 'set up' his home for him. Well.....these are just guesses. I would never know the actual feeling....But, what I do know for sure is that it is a very proud moment for every son to welcome his mother for the very first time in 'his home'. My moment came on Saturday, 20th of December 2008!!!

After all the hiccups of 'loss of network' on my moms' phone and no communication through the evening, I finally welcomed her to my home at around 9:30pm. Gauri had already arrived from Mysore in the evening and having both my sister and mother into my home felt great. Mom liked the house. She told me that the area surrounding my home reminded her of her old home in Hubli. I showed her around the drawing room and the bedroom, which I told her were already set and then to the kitchen which, according to me, was partially set and only needed a few 'minor tweaks'. However, mom had different ideas. Thats when the free advice started flowing in....

Mom: "That's not how you keep the dishes!!......Don't keep the salt like that!!...........Look at your gas burner!! It must be cleaned daily!!!...."

I understood how 'Sameer' a.k.a Saif Ali Khan, of the Dil Chahtha Hain fame felt when being comamnded by his first girlfriend 'Priya' a.k.a Suchitra Pillai...

Me: "But Mummy......lekin woh........meri toh.........but still....."

The advice kept flowing.......
Mom: "You should buy a mixer-grinder and an oven"
Me: "Mummy....Neccessity is the mother of all inventions....When the need arises, I will invent something...ha...ha...ha"
Mom: "You watch too many films....'mixers' are easily available in the market....why do you want to invent!!!"

Ahh.....If my mom wishes, she will put all engineers' out of business!!!

Finally, we dined on some mast paplet fry, that mom got from Mumbai and the chicken sukha and dalitoi that I had prepared earlier in the day. By the time we slept, my kitchen had undergone a major renovation, and I was glad it was all over.........but I was wrong...

I woke up at around 8:30am the following day, which is very early by my standards, considering that it was a Sunday. Mom was already doing something in the kitchen. By the time I brushed and entered the kitchen, I noticed that, what I presumed to be 'minor tweaks' had changed into a major overhaul of the entire place. Things were neatly arranged in terms of their make (i.e plastic or steel), size and frequency of usage. The whole place looked really neat, but I was struggling to find my way around.

The thing about a dis-organized kitchen is that any dis-organized guy, like me, can easily find what he wants. I knew exactly under which plate I would find the spoon and under which utensil I would find the pan. Now, I was lost in my own kitchen!! At every stage, I had to check with mom regarding the new location of the glasses and cleaning cloth and dishes.

After a while, I simply gave-up and let my mom make some delicious omlet for my sister and me. Later in the day I took her around to the sole vegetable shop and then to the 'Spar' hyper market where we purchased the rest of the stuff she needed around the kitchen. We got back home at around 2 pm after which she fried the Surmai and made a good garden salad to go with rice, dal and curd.
Hmmmm.......what a super-ra lunch that was!!!

She still complained that I hadn't taken a bath and she didn't like my justification of "Chill....aaj Sunday asa" at all. Finally at around 5pm I succummed to her non stop pleading and took a much needed bath!!

Aashish came over at around 7pm to eat his share of the Surmai. Dinner was planned at the 'Hegdes' and we were treated to a sumptous vegetarian meal comprising of Ami's special paneer-mattar and gujrati dal. Ohh....I can't forget the home-made Anjeer biscuit and vanilla ice-cream. That was good.

Again, this morning, for the very first time in the two years that I have been in Bengaluru, I had a heavy breakfast comprising of two tandla peetha bhakri with ghee and sugar, two badams, one rava ladoo and a full glass of Bournvita......phewww......guess I'll need to skip lunch today!!

I was expecting my Mom to come down to Bangalore for a few days and relax, away from her bank job and the bhag daud life on Mumbai, but as the title suggests ....Moms' will be Moms'.......so like a very good son I have decided to sit back and enjoy the next 4 days of being treated like the crown prince of the Shanbhag household.......


Comments

u arent the crown prince...!@#@##$!!!!!!! take a royalty......er ...a reality check....brother..........

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....