Basically!!....When is Tapeout?

A couple of years back, before I took up my first job here in Bengaluru, I had visited an elderly person on my fathers' request. I had to travel to his factory situated in Yelahanka, on the outskirts of the city and only remember him as Mr. Kamat. He suggested a few books for me to read and amongst the other things he told me, I distinctly remember him telling me his observation on life, especially related to a person's career.

He told me that it is most likely that every hard-working individuals goes through four stages of his professional life:

Stage 1: This is when one takes up his first job. His main aim now, is to be self sufficient and independent. He looks to save money as far as possible.

Stage 2: This typically starts when he gets married. He now plans for his immediate family (wife, kids, parents..etc).

Stage 3: The onset of this stage normally occurs some 5 - 6 years after Stage 2. This happens, when he feels he can easily take care of his family and looks to expand his umbrella to cover his friends, relatives and close ones. There is a tendency to start a new business venture or take up a challenging post in office, at this stage and work hard towards making it a success.

Stage 4: Towards the fag end of his career, he finally feels satisfied with all he has accomplished and feels he can still expand his umbrella of responsibility further. He now looks to address the society or his community. Looks to do some social work and improve the life of others' around him.

"Let yourself free, nature will flow through you, and what we get is a Creation"....is what I was told. I was further told that this model is played out by majority of the people we see around us - Narayana Murthy, Rahul Bajaj, Dhirubhai Ambani....etc.

At that juncture, I just wondered how true this theorem was......


Last week, our co-founder decided to retire and move on in life. In the conference room, he was popped the question -
"Satya, What next in life??"......to which he remarkbly replied...

Satya: "I will continue to do something in semiconductors and chip design, but I am looking to address a larger audience. Something for the masses."

Almost two years after I first heard the model, I found one more name to add to that list of industry stalwarts who followed that model to success.

I am not sure 'when' and 'if' I would ever get to Stage 4, but this is not about me.....This is yet another salute to our inspiring leaders who have now left us. Both Satya and Chitra will be sorely missed in Open-Silicon.

Their departure, now sets the stage for change. It's an opportunity for new leaders to emerge. As our CEO stated....it's time for us to scale new heights and break new barriers......and at any stage, you can look back and you will see them both standing there, saying their most famous dialogue......



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....