Blood Diamond
My Friend 'A' calls me today and asks me to help him select a nice gift for his wife. It's her birthday tomorrow. He decides that he wants to buy her a diamond ring, and to help him out, (out of a million people in the city of Bengaluru) he finds me!!
The invitation was actually well disguised and tempting:
A: "Prasan, chal we'll go to Spar. I need to buy a diamond ring, a kung-fu panda soft toy and then we'll have the non-veg bowl in Fire Wok"
Me: "Ohhh...Fire Wok....chal, I am coming!!"
Now, before I proceed, I must list down my immense knowledge about 'The Diamond'......
Hmmm...what do I know about Diamonds??....hmmm.......aha......no....hmmm....
Well, thanks to the movie 'Blood Diamond', I know that there was a war being fought in Seirra Leonne from where pure diamonds are illegally smuggled out to Antwerp in Belgium and then on to the sorting tables in Surat, where they are mixed with the ordinary stones and made to look real good. They are then distributed throughout the world, where (as described in the movie) a poor 'sod' has to dish out three months salary to buy his bride an engagement ring!!
I know, I would be that 'sod' someday, but today I just had to give another 'sod' company in selecting a nice ring for his wife. Thats how we ended up at the Jewellery shop in 'Lifestyle', Oasis Mall.
We first went upto the Gili shop....
A: "I am looking for a diamond ring. My budget is 5k to 8k"
Attendant: "Sorry sir, our range starts at 8k"
Ok....next shop - D-Damas
A: "I am looking for a ring in the range of 5k to 8k"
Attendant: "Sorry Sir, we don't have in that range......But I can show you something in 7k"
Duh-uh!!
Don't be surprised.....That's Bengaluru for you. I remember my first few days in this city. We went to a small hotel and this happened:
Me: "Ek Sada Dosa.."
Waiter: "Sada Dosa nahi sir....Plain dosa milega"
Duh-uh!!!
Soon, she put up a big collection in front of us.
A: "Yeh acha hain nah??"
Me: "Is there a diamond in this little thing??"
Attn: "Yes Sir....seven diamonds, .08 cents"
Me: "There are seven diamonds in this!!!......I can't see even one!!"
We continued to look at other collections. We realized that diamonds have various specifications.
Attn: "Would you like to see some white gold rings?"
A: "No...they will loose colour after a while."
Me: (amazed) "Gold, white bhi hota hain!!"
Attn: "Yes sir....but normally for diamond rings, yellow gold is better"
A: "How much does this cost?"
Attn: "After discount it costs Rs. xxx"
A: "Saala.....now I know why they call it 'Blood Diamond'!!"
So, we ended up purchasing a nice little diamond ring, beautifully gift wrapped.
A: (laughing) "Man.....lagta hain, kal ka dinner plan cancel karna padega!!.....ghar pe hi kha lenge"
Me: "Tension mat le.....lemme buy you a Bacardi"
A: "Haan yaar....I need one."
That my friends....is how two guys shop for a Diamond Ring.
AMEN
The invitation was actually well disguised and tempting:
A: "Prasan, chal we'll go to Spar. I need to buy a diamond ring, a kung-fu panda soft toy and then we'll have the non-veg bowl in Fire Wok"
Me: "Ohhh...Fire Wok....chal, I am coming!!"
Now, before I proceed, I must list down my immense knowledge about 'The Diamond'......
Hmmm...what do I know about Diamonds??....hmmm.......aha......no....hmmm....
Well, thanks to the movie 'Blood Diamond', I know that there was a war being fought in Seirra Leonne from where pure diamonds are illegally smuggled out to Antwerp in Belgium and then on to the sorting tables in Surat, where they are mixed with the ordinary stones and made to look real good. They are then distributed throughout the world, where (as described in the movie) a poor 'sod' has to dish out three months salary to buy his bride an engagement ring!!
I know, I would be that 'sod' someday, but today I just had to give another 'sod' company in selecting a nice ring for his wife. Thats how we ended up at the Jewellery shop in 'Lifestyle', Oasis Mall.
We first went upto the Gili shop....
A: "I am looking for a diamond ring. My budget is 5k to 8k"
Attendant: "Sorry sir, our range starts at 8k"
Ok....next shop - D-Damas
A: "I am looking for a ring in the range of 5k to 8k"
Attendant: "Sorry Sir, we don't have in that range......But I can show you something in 7k"
Duh-uh!!
Don't be surprised.....That's Bengaluru for you. I remember my first few days in this city. We went to a small hotel and this happened:
Me: "Ek Sada Dosa.."
Waiter: "Sada Dosa nahi sir....Plain dosa milega"
Duh-uh!!!
Soon, she put up a big collection in front of us.
A: "Yeh acha hain nah??"
Me: "Is there a diamond in this little thing??"
Attn: "Yes Sir....seven diamonds, .08 cents"
Me: "There are seven diamonds in this!!!......I can't see even one!!"
We continued to look at other collections. We realized that diamonds have various specifications.
Attn: "Would you like to see some white gold rings?"
A: "No...they will loose colour after a while."
Me: (amazed) "Gold, white bhi hota hain!!"
Attn: "Yes sir....but normally for diamond rings, yellow gold is better"
A: "How much does this cost?"
Attn: "After discount it costs Rs. xxx"
A: "Saala.....now I know why they call it 'Blood Diamond'!!"
So, we ended up purchasing a nice little diamond ring, beautifully gift wrapped.
A: (laughing) "Man.....lagta hain, kal ka dinner plan cancel karna padega!!.....ghar pe hi kha lenge"
Me: "Tension mat le.....lemme buy you a Bacardi"
A: "Haan yaar....I need one."
That my friends....is how two guys shop for a Diamond Ring.
AMEN
Comments