Penalty goes Hi-Tech

I still remember the days in Mumbai, when we were caught by the traffic hawaldars of Mumbai on breaking a signal or cutting lanes. What follows is a lengthy discussion (or should I say quarrel) with the policeman in Marathi, where you try to convince him to accept a smaller bribe and get away.

Fortunately for me, such incidents in Bengaluru have been far and few. Only once or twice have I had to deal with the Traffic Kapus of Bengaluru, (never since I got my new bike). But that was all set to change this morning!!

My bike was due for servicing and I had to make sure that I reach the service station before 9:30am. I made up my mind to wake up early today and even hired a good friend to make sure that I woke up by 8am atleast. However, thanks to my laziness and that amazing invention we call "TV", I was only able to leave my home at 9:10am!!

Enroute to the Honda Service station, I had to cross only one traffic signal near the Domlur flyover and in the adrenaline rush I decided to jump the signal. Unfortunately for me, I could proceed only a few metres before a policeman held out his hand and asked me to pull over. He told me in kanadda that I had jumped the signal and I plead guilty without much of a fight. I was hoping to pay him off as quickly as possible and move on.
He asked me for my license, checked out my number plate, realized it was a relatively new bike and didn't ask me for any papers. He then pointed to his boss standing behind near his white Bajaj Pulsar with the police lights. I knew this would cost me a minimum of Rs. 250 - 300.

As I approached the sub-inspector, I saw that he was fighting with another guy who appeared to tell the Inspector that he had some contact with the commisioner of some place. In between he looked at me, checked my license and said "Rs 100 fine"

Wow....not bad, I thought to myself.

I removed a crisp note, handed it to him and asked for my license so that I could get away. But, to my surprise he asked me to wait!!......I was wondering what else was in store for me??

One more thing happened then....When the other guy realized that the fine was only Rs. 100, he suddenly stopped fighting and told the Inspector to take the fine and let him go. He removed a bunch of notes and handed the Inspector a 100 rupee note like I had. Thats when the real interesting thing happened -

Out of nowhere the Police Inspector pulled out a Blackberry and started punching something on the console. He was pointing to the other guy. He asked his name and place of residence. Then he brought out another blue instrument (resembling the printing machine that prints out the receipt when you swipe a debit or credit card). After entering some more information, he pointed the blackberry towards the blue instrument and pressed 'ENTER'. Within a few seconds, the instrument printed out two copies of a receipt. The policeman and the other guy signed it and parted ways. Next was my chance...

I couldn't control my excitement. I went in closer to have a look at what he was doing. On the main screen, he selected some option that took him straight to the 'Fine' menu. Looked like he had already logged into some software. Then he simply followed the instructions in the following order:

1. OFFENSE - Jumping Tr. Signal
2. VEHICLE TYPE - Scooter
3. REGN - KA-03-........
4. LICENSE NO. - MH03/.......
5. NAME -

At this junction he asked me:

Pol: "What is your name?...Prasanna??" (reading from my license)
Me: "No Sir, Prasan"
Pol: "ahh...Prasann!!"

This is what he finally worte - PRASHAN!!

Well....there is separate blog which I dedicated to my name woes, so lemme not re-ignite my frustration here. It however, did remind me of my ex-rommie who used to call me just that!!

Again he pointed the blackberry towards that blue thing and it printed out a receipt for me. As I was signing I asked him how difficult it was for him to use the blackberry, to which he simply said:

Pol: "No No easy...Blackberry"

He kept one receipt and handed me a copy.

WOW!!......Now I do feel that I live in the Silicon Valley of India. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel bad about paying a fine. This receipt is proof that this is my first fine that will actually reach the Government!!

The whole experience was quite interesting. My only regret was that I had to pay the Haiku Honda guys 250 bucks for my third "FREE" service!!!! ..#$%

Comments

Nishat said…
Welcome to the Hi-Tech world mate. In Mumbai, they have introduced these new sim-waala licences. So, you can see every 'mapos' with a card reader hanging around his neck. The next thing done is that the autority to collect fines has been taken away from them. So, if you do not reach an agreement with the cop, your licence ends up at court with you having to stand before the judge and get a verdict, which is collated properly, thanks to the sim-waala licence.
Law-breaking has reduced ever since.
And quite nostalgic about the 'Prashan' thingie.

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....