The 5K moment

It is very important for each and every one of us to enjoy the little pleasures of life.......and I had one such small, but memorable moment this morning.

Last September, I had the unique pleasure of purchasing my first ever vehicle - A brand new metallic midnight blue Honda Activa. I can proudly say today that it has been a very good investment. I have kinda got attached to it, as this 100cc wonder has given me the independence to go about in Bengaluru without worrying about the meddlesome rickshawalas, or the bus timings and even to a large extent the horrendous traffic that we see almost daily in the city.

This morning, however, was a little special. As I left for office at the usual time and drove my way through the magnificent landmark in my area, known commonly as the "BEML Gate", the "KM" reading on my bike flipped up the five right most digits to read "5000"......


I got off the road when I saw this and clicked this photo.....I somehow had to seize this moment!!

Yes....almost 11 months after purchasing the bike, I had finally recorded my first milestone. People may argue that getting to 5k in 11 months doesn't really mean much in terms of the running of the bike. Yet, considering that I travel only a meagre 13kms a day to and fro to office, I personally feel it has been a good if not great acheivement.

The long journeys on this bike have been few and far. I can even recollect that the trip to the "Confident Resort" in Bannerghatta for our office get-together has been the furtherst I have driven in a day - 60kms!!

From this morning, I weirdly feel that I have stepped into a new realm in my journey with my "Flying Ranee". Three years back in the September of 2006, when I had first landed in Bengaluru, I hadn't even the slightlest idea of how to ride a bike. For a year I used to ride behind Pinkesh on his silver Activa and got my first hang of riding.
Then one fine evening in 2007, I was with my roomie Nishat, at the A2B restaurant on CMH road, when I told him that I wanted to learn "how to ride". At that instant he handed me the keys to Pinki's bike and I somehow managed to drive the bike for that short journey from CMH road to 3450/A......the first ride with Nishat sitting behind isn't that easy, but I am glad I managed it;)

Today I can confidently drive a double seat for any long journey....and I say it cause I very often drive with Aashish behind me!!.....anybody else feels quite light :)

So...as my journey continues, I just hope that I don't have to wait until next August to reach 10k!!

Comments

Nishat said…
Aaaahhhh....such trivial joys of life !!!
I remember all the muliples of 10K milestones of my bike. I cannot do that anymore, the odometer is screwed up, and the speed is permanently on zero.
I also remember the ride from A2B to 3450/A. You were almost all over the road, but still you were the better driver than Hegde. His first drive, with me behind, was very much worse !!!!
Nishat said…
BTW...forgot to conratulate you on this big milestone.

Here goes, CONGRATULATIONS on your first 5K. Wish you many such happy miles(tones).

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....