A new hobby

Just yesterday dearest wifey asked me why I hadn't written a blog in a long time and that's when I realized that, forget writing one, I hadn't even logged on to my own blog for almost 6 months!!

Well you could say that I wasn't too happy with my own writing. After all I have a phrase stuck in my head, which I have seen scribbled on all my report cards throughout my schooling days which loudly read out - "Can do better!" and I couldn't help applying the same to my writing. But No, that wasn't the case why I hadn't blogged (I am no quitter). In fact, something unprecedented happened to me in the last 6 months that kept me really busy - a phenomenon called voracious reading.....

Now, a voracious reader in the real sense reads 3 books a day, but that's not me. For my own liking I read about 6 odd books in 5 months and that itself was like a new record I set. 

It started with a sudden urge to read something on airplanes and science and hence I purchased and got about reading Micheal Cricton's Airframe followed by State of Fear. Those books were done in about a month and next I felt the desire to take on some office politics and this thirst was quenched by Mr. Ravi Subramaniam via his books 'If God was a Banker' and 'The Incredible Banker'. This was followed by a murder mystery - Agatha Christie's 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' starring the evergreen Hercule Poirot. There was one more book in between, which I can't remember, before I strayed onto Chankya's Chant and it while I read the reviews of this that I my attention was brought onto a book which I would term as one of the best books I have read to date - Manu Joseph's 'The Illicit Happiness of Other People'. A brilliantly written dark satire on life which got my little grey cells to think deep about everything in life.

I remember the time after watching the movie 'The Dark Knight' I didn't watch any movie for a long time as they simply couldn't match up to this Christopher Nolan masterpiece.....and it was a similar effect I had with the last book I read. That plus loads of work over the Christmas - New Year period ensured a sudden break in my new found hobby. I havn't read a book for a month now, but my book shelf looks really impressive!!



It's not the end though. Last week I went and purchased a few more different books that caught my attention. Agatha Christie's 'And then there were none' and two book by our very own R.K Narayan - 'The Financial Expert' and 'The Guide'.

All I need to do now is find the time and patience all over again and hopefully in a few days I should be singing - "Gaata raahe mera dil...."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....