Co-incidence
It was just another regular Tuesday afternoon last week. I left from office at around 6pm and reached home by 8pm after having an early dinner, to maintain my Singapore eating habits. I had nothing much to do and when I switched on the tele, I realized my boredom would have only gotten worse!
Hence, I put on my track pants, an old jersey and decided to head out for a walk.
Things were quite hot and sultry outside and within a Kilometer of simple brisk walking I had already started to sweat. I decided not to jog cause I had just had dinner and continued to walk at a fast pace, thinking about the big presentation I was scheduled to do in a couple of weeks time.
Before I realized, I had completed almost 2 full rounds of the Novena-Newton surroundings and had walked for approximately 3Kms. I decided to take the last turn around the United Square mall and then head home. It was almost 9pm and there were very people on the street at this time. As I walked by the Royal Thai hotel and approached the Goldhill Square Mall, I passed a guy on the road and I hardly taken a few steps when I heard someone call out - "Prasan!!"
It took me a couple of seconds to register that someone was calling out my name. I stopped and looked back, in the direction from which the call originated, only to find that the guy I had just passed was none other than my old school mate - Anosh Koppikar!
There was a brief moment of "What the hell are you doing here!" after which we embraced each other and wondered how 2 friends who had last met in the year 1997 (the year I passed out of Bombay Scottish School) in Mumbai were to meet again, out of the blue, on the 17th of September 2013 in Singapore!!
Apparently, he was also here on a business trip but a short one. He was headed out to dinner, but since I had already had mine, we decided to go a drink instead where he can grab a bite to eat.
We headed out to the Harrys' Pub in Velocity mall, ordered a couple of Absolut's and started talking of the days we were out of touch. We first spoke about my profession and semiconductors, before swithching to his role in finance and the overall state of affairs in our home country.
As we continued to chat, he casually mentioned how happy he was that we ran into each other out of sheer co-incidence. He told me that when I passed him, he just took a wild guess that it could be me and called out my name. What if he hadn't done that!
'Yes', I thought to myself, 'What if I had not stepped out that day' - Would we ever meet??
Well, both of us just glad that he called out and we met, cause it was simply a wonderful feeling to see a friend after almost 16 years in a foreign land!!
I am sure all of us run into these little co-incidences and surprises - just goes to prove once more that, truely, "Life is Beautiful"...
Comments