The Tech Buzz

They say that technology can impact our everyday lives and there no bigger example than Singapore - a city that thrives on it's hi-tech marvels to attain the highest levels of efficiency possible.

From cameras to sensors that automatically deduct toll when you pass thorough an important junction, to driver-less trains which run on time everytime....technology is everywhere.
You enter any underground MRT (mass rapid transit) train and don't be surprised to see almost 90% of the people inside glued into their smartphones - either reading a book, playing a game or watching some serial or movie that is being streamed live on their phone while they travel around at high-speed - all enabled by the availability of high-speed internet throughout this island city.

24 hours of non-stop electricity and water, clean roads and pavements, skyscrapers popping up in a matter of months and the list goes on....
Even when it comes to architecture, all new constructions go by the rule that they should not be built in a square or rectangular shape, with 4 walls, but instead should appear to be a creation of Leonardo daVinci and should make the onlooker go - WOW!


But what amazed me most was the technology that we saw being used in a small bakery where wifey and me had gone for our breakfast on a Sunday morning. 

We walked over to the Cadele bakery in Novena square and ordered two regular breakfast sets that come with coffee. The bill was generated and I was told by the lady on the counter in her typical chinese accent that I had to pay "dollar fourteen and fifty five cent".

While I was digging for change in my wallet, I looked up and saw the counter showing $14.15! I re-confirmed, "Was it fifteen or fifty-five cents?"
She looked at me and repeated - "One Five - Fifty Five"
I understood her point and give her fifteen cents, which she happily accepted. But along with the bill, she also gave us a round saucer like device, weighing some 50 to 70 grams, which had the number "4" displayed on it and we were told to take our seat as per our convenience. 


I knew that this was some sort of indicator to inform us that our food was ready after which we had to go to the counter and collect it. Right on cue, some 4 minutes later the device started to buzz and the LEDs, which were invisible before all went on and off, generating a weird vibrating effect on our table.

I went to the counter, gave the device back and collected our plates. And as I enjoyed a lovely morning breakfast with wifey, I couldn't help but wonder how even the simplest of technologies could simply leave us humans - Awestruck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....