Namma City
This is a story of three guys who travelled down from Mumbai to Bangalore some time back and were given a warm welcome on their arrival in 'namma city'.
After travelling for about 20 hours in the 3-tier coach of the train, they were witness to the efficiency of Indian Railways, which meant that they arrived at the outskirts of Bangalore some 30 minutes before the scheduled time. However, they then became victims of the efficiency of Bangalore Railway Management, which made the train wait near the K R Puram station for one hour, hence ensuring that the train rolls into Bangalore, late by 30mins!!!
I must say here that the main culprit of the delay was the unseasonal rains. (Actually after staying in Bangalore for little under two years, I have now realized that over here, there is no season for rains. It can start pouring at any time of the day, in any month. But the rain only last for a couple of hours.) That day, however, it had rained non-stop for 3 hours.....too much raaa!!!
Thanks to the rain and the brilliant management, the train crawled into Bangalore cantonment station, waited there for around for around 35 mins (as per schedule, it halts only for 3 mins) and then chugged its way towards the Bangalore City Station. The train finally reached the station some 1.5 hrs behind schedule. The final destination of the train is Coimbatore. It normally halts in Bangalore City Station for 30 mins, but considering the halt it took at Cantonmnet, you can do the math and calculate the time it must have stood steady at City Station.
Coming back to our three guys. After, showering plenty of praises to the management whilst they were waiting, they finally exited the City Station at 11pm. To their horror, they found that there there were only 3 rickshaws waiting outside to account for hundreds of passengers. One brave guy, weathered the rain and went to talk to some rickshawala. When he came back, he was very frustrated and exclaimed to his friends:
"Sala...he is asking for Rs. 500 to J P Nagar. We just travelled 1000kms from Mumbai till here for Rs. 1200 and now we have to pay Rs. 500 for 6 kms!!"
Listening to this, another frustrated passenger standing next door spoke:
"Arey ....I came in non-AC sleeper. I paid Rs. 300 from Mumbai till here. Now to travel 10kms to Outer Ring Road, the auto guy is asking for Rs 1000!!!.........I had to ask my friend to come and pick me up....no choice"
So, there you go, this is how India's Silicon valley.....an upcoming metro (which I like to re-phrase as 'a big village') is treating people. Not all is bad though, the three guys finally negotaited long and hard into the night and ended up paying about Rs 200 each for a door step drop at 1am. :)
Inspite of all the troubles, I still love this city. This is where I earn my daily bread and it is here that I feel independent. The city has sharpened my survival skills and I would have to think hard if I was given a chance of moving back to Mumbai. I am well on my way to become a Bengaluru huduga....but such frustrations will keep pouring....so watch out.
Ohh....almost forgot, the three guys took the train in the first place cause they preferred it to air travel for several reasons, one of which is the fact that the new airport is 60kms from the city and a person needs to leave 4 hours in advance to make sure he catches his flight. This is thanks to the the super-efficient government, who approved the airport, and two months before opening it realized:
"Shit.....How will the passengers travel to and fro??"
They have introduced the 'Vajra' Volvo bus service which is quite good and also passed a tender to build a metro elevated train system, which they expect to complete by the year 2010.
If I live to see that day, I will definately take a trip on it and blog about that for sure.
Until than.....I proudly continue to advocate the slogan - "Namma City" (my city).
PS: This blog was greatly inspired by the morning traffic that I have to swim through to get to office. The real frustration is due to the fact that I have to wake up at 7:30am and leave my house at 8:30am to reach office by 10am!! ...........bloody c%^$$giri!!!
After travelling for about 20 hours in the 3-tier coach of the train, they were witness to the efficiency of Indian Railways, which meant that they arrived at the outskirts of Bangalore some 30 minutes before the scheduled time. However, they then became victims of the efficiency of Bangalore Railway Management, which made the train wait near the K R Puram station for one hour, hence ensuring that the train rolls into Bangalore, late by 30mins!!!
I must say here that the main culprit of the delay was the unseasonal rains. (Actually after staying in Bangalore for little under two years, I have now realized that over here, there is no season for rains. It can start pouring at any time of the day, in any month. But the rain only last for a couple of hours.) That day, however, it had rained non-stop for 3 hours.....too much raaa!!!
Thanks to the rain and the brilliant management, the train crawled into Bangalore cantonment station, waited there for around for around 35 mins (as per schedule, it halts only for 3 mins) and then chugged its way towards the Bangalore City Station. The train finally reached the station some 1.5 hrs behind schedule. The final destination of the train is Coimbatore. It normally halts in Bangalore City Station for 30 mins, but considering the halt it took at Cantonmnet, you can do the math and calculate the time it must have stood steady at City Station.
Coming back to our three guys. After, showering plenty of praises to the management whilst they were waiting, they finally exited the City Station at 11pm. To their horror, they found that there there were only 3 rickshaws waiting outside to account for hundreds of passengers. One brave guy, weathered the rain and went to talk to some rickshawala. When he came back, he was very frustrated and exclaimed to his friends:
"Sala...he is asking for Rs. 500 to J P Nagar. We just travelled 1000kms from Mumbai till here for Rs. 1200 and now we have to pay Rs. 500 for 6 kms!!"
Listening to this, another frustrated passenger standing next door spoke:
"Arey ....I came in non-AC sleeper. I paid Rs. 300 from Mumbai till here. Now to travel 10kms to Outer Ring Road, the auto guy is asking for Rs 1000!!!.........I had to ask my friend to come and pick me up....no choice"
So, there you go, this is how India's Silicon valley.....an upcoming metro (which I like to re-phrase as 'a big village') is treating people. Not all is bad though, the three guys finally negotaited long and hard into the night and ended up paying about Rs 200 each for a door step drop at 1am. :)
Inspite of all the troubles, I still love this city. This is where I earn my daily bread and it is here that I feel independent. The city has sharpened my survival skills and I would have to think hard if I was given a chance of moving back to Mumbai. I am well on my way to become a Bengaluru huduga....but such frustrations will keep pouring....so watch out.
Ohh....almost forgot, the three guys took the train in the first place cause they preferred it to air travel for several reasons, one of which is the fact that the new airport is 60kms from the city and a person needs to leave 4 hours in advance to make sure he catches his flight. This is thanks to the the super-efficient government, who approved the airport, and two months before opening it realized:
"Shit.....How will the passengers travel to and fro??"
They have introduced the 'Vajra' Volvo bus service which is quite good and also passed a tender to build a metro elevated train system, which they expect to complete by the year 2010.
If I live to see that day, I will definately take a trip on it and blog about that for sure.
Until than.....I proudly continue to advocate the slogan - "Namma City" (my city).
PS: This blog was greatly inspired by the morning traffic that I have to swim through to get to office. The real frustration is due to the fact that I have to wake up at 7:30am and leave my house at 8:30am to reach office by 10am!! ...........bloody c%^$$giri!!!
Comments
Buses are the best.
And, I too remember the good 'ol days of getting up early to beat the traffic. Nows its your turn.
You know what, nowadays, I get up no earlier than 9 AM. Ah..bliss, I say.
Even if I somehow become a bangaluru huduga....i'll still have my roots firmly embedded in mumbai. Thats how I had derived my N.R.M definition a few blogs back :)
PS: thanks for visiting my blog