Economics of Sports

I was reading an article on Economics which relies on the principle that 'Demand is equal to Supply'. This very principle also applies to sports news reporting and thus, despite of the heroics of our hockey team, where they beat every opposition by over 3 to 5 goals, cricket dominates the front page of the sports supplement in every news daily.

Every day as I opened up the sports page I could only read about our cricketing traits down under where we ended up losing all 4 test matches and a few ODIs by over 120 runs! Even a rumourous spat between Mahi and Viru had it to the main page. The second page was dominated by news from the Football and Tennis worlds and our poor hockey heroes found some space on page 3....what a shame!

Not all is lost. A couple of days back, their pic did make it to the front page of the newspaper, but only because a sponsor decided to put them there. However, I was hoping things would change as news of sponsors switching to hockey instead of cricket starting pouring in. But all this changed yesterday as one Mr. Virat Kohli smashed 133 of 86 balls as India chased 321 in 37 overs to keep their finals berth alive. 

This virtually ensures that the first page will again be dominated by cricket for another 5 years' and the only hope our poor hockey heroes' have of featuring on the main page is to go win the 'Gold' at the London Olympics later this year!

For me, though, it doesn't mater much. I am going to support our hockey heroes as much as our cricketing lads, but on a personal level the only thing that matters was the success of Liverpool as a football club. The wait was long, it has been almost 6 years, but finally on the 26th of February, I watched live as Steven Gerrard proudly walked up the 107 steps on the New Wembley Stadium and lifted the Carling Cup 2012.....


Ye....what a moment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....