Target Audience


Following up on my previous blog on advertising, I want to mention another observation I had made a while back on the Marketing tactics of two German Luxury Automobile makers – Volkswagen (VW) and BMW.
I had noticed something on one of the ads I saw on TV and then went on to Youtube to check out some other ads they had worldwide for the luxury D segment and above cars and SUVs. Call it luck if you like, but I happened to observe a distinct pattern in the two ads which possible gave out a very slight hint of the possible audience both carmakers were trying to target.

Every VW ad had the main protagonist enjoying the beauty of his car from the back seat which would transform into his home, his private jet and his office while on the road. However, almost every BMW ad had the same guy always shown to enjoy the car in the drivers’ seat showcasing the luxury, power and safety aspects.

It appeared to me that the VW was targeting the rich people who love to be chauffeur driven while BMW was looking at those millionaires who preferred to drive themselves to office while being noticed by everyone else on the streets.

I agree that this is no great Market Research, but I think anyone who wants to get into Advertising or Marketing needs to make note of these and try and get into the minds of these advertisers’. All that said, I still absolutely love the new VW Polo ad here in India:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayohmLqyOus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....