Einstein's Universe

During our childhood days, all of us have had special dreams and inspirations - winning a world cup for India, landing on the moon, becoming Miss Universe etc. Most of these remains dreams even till today and keep prompting the question in our minds - "What if??"

One such crazy desire of mine was to become a scientist!!! I was always enthralled by the subjects of Physics and Mathematics. Even though, like every other kid, I used to curse the subject during exam times, I used to love reading about it. It wasn't until after my graduation that I had started to realize the importance of the subjects and the implications they have and can have on the world around us. Today the only solace I have was that I work in the field of 'Semiconductors' that is a branch of the Physics stream. However, you will find me constantly reading about the other streams in my free time.

Couple of months back, a book entered my life and brought about a slight re-kindling of one such candle of desire in me. The name of the book was - EINSTEIN'S UNIVERSE by Nigel Calder. It was only 'by chance' that I had run into the book and reading the first few chapters had reminded me of my engineering days, when I used to discuss topics on 'Energy' and 'Light' with my friend CS, to the wrath of my other friends.

Unfortunately for me, my tryst with that book was short-lived. But the fire continued to burn. I decided that I would hunt for that book and purchase it. This was going to be my first book purchased from a proper book store (the rest being novels brought from the street vendors!!). My hunt took me through 4 books stores in Jayanagar before finally ending up at Sapna Book House, whose manager was kind enough to inform me that the book was available at some shop in Delhi and would be procured for me if I placed an order for it. This try was, however, unsuccessful, because I was told by them after 10 days that the book was actually out-of-stock.

My next try was to look online. One website promised and failed to deliver it within the promised 5 days and instead presented me with a credit voucher for Rs 25 (which I hope to use some day). The book was even stated as out-of-stock on the Amazon site. At that instant I felt deeply disappointed, since for the first time since setting eyes on that book, I felt that I would have to let go of this desire!!!

That same day, a dear friend of mine, to whom I had mentioned this passion, buzzed me on Gtalk and enquired about how far I had gone with my latest craze. I explained what all I had been through to procure the book and told her how dejected I felt. I told her I was giving up on that book. She, however, had different plans. She kept encouraging me and even told me that "Chicks would die to be with a guy who looks up to Einstein!!". Honestly, I knew how valid that statement was, but it truely inspired me to keep looking!!! ;)

So, there I went, doing something which I really didn't want to do. One of my best friend is married to a lady, whose father's sister happens to be the wife of the owner of the Sapna Book House chain in Bangalore. My new 'bhabhi' came to my rescue. The request for the book was elevated to the highest level possible and EUREKA!!!!

Today morning I became a proud owner of a brand new book - EINSTEIN'S UNIVERSE. As I glanced gleefully at the blue outer cover, I hoped that this would be a harbinger for any others to follow.

Ofcourse, I must give my special Thanks to LM, for that inspiration in between :)


Comments

Nishat said…
I was about to comment that you should have used Pinky's connections. But then I saw that you have already done it.
Congratulations on your first purchase of a book from a store. I wonder when will I see that day.

And keep the fire burning ;-)
Sumita said…
So I'm guessing that you havent written a blog post because you've been busy reading your book. I'm sorry to inform you that the writing on the wall is very clear. You're officially a geek!!!!!!
:-) Every family needs one, right!

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....