Abstract Art
Every once in a while, we all do something different, for a change, and only then do we realize......"Ohh, we have a hidden talent!!" I recently discovered that I have a unique nack for Abstract Art....
After I failed in the "Drawing Elimentary" exams in school, I had given up any hopes that I could ever paint or even draw. I somehow, managed to scrape through the "Engineering Drawing" subjects in first year of Engineering. I assumed that was the end of it. But I was wrong......
This last month was probably meant to change all that. On Tuesday, the Adminstartion staff, here in Open-Silicon, had organized a small celebration to mark the beginning of Navratri festival. Mails were sent out, informing everyone that there would be a 'Rangoli' function followed by 'Dandiya' in the evening. I was all set for the Dandiya and didn't even bother to check where the rangoli competition would be held.
Many of you might be wondering "What's Navratri got to do with Rangoli??".......
Well....My only answer is - "T.I.B - This is Bengaluru".
Just last Saturday, some 10 days after the end of Ganesh Chaturthi, a huge 6 foot Ganpati idol cropped up at the corner of Jagadish Nagar. On Sunday, the committee in-charge, organized a 'Dahi handi' festival followed by an orchestra comprising of a DJ who mainly played english hip-hop songs to please the lord!!!
Monday, as I was returning home from office....the idol was gone!! It was almost as if, a group of individuals thought to themselves, "There's nothing to do this weekend....lets have a Ganpati festival"......as I said - T.I.B Expect the Unexpected
Coming back to last Tuesday, it wasn't until after lunch, that I found out that our Table-Tennis room had been converted into a venue to host the Rangoli function. I walked in there and saw that a few people were giving finishing touches to their respective creations. The designs were all unique - Lord Ganesha, Colourful trees and flowers, Peacocks etc. A group of my Chinese colleagues had also contributed by drawing a yellow elephant, to show that they had blended well with our culture.
At the end of the hall Poornima, Arushi and Anuradha were busy completing their designs and Murali, like a good critic was showing them all the minor faults in their design. I decided to join him in his pursuit.
Me: (pointing to the rangoli) "What bird is this?"
Poo: "Actually we started with a Peacock, but now it looks like a Duck."
Me: "You know, it actually looks like a Swan.....but swans are not green in colour."
After the in-depth analysis, I saw an empty spot at the corner. The Box had been created to inform all that the rangoli had to fit inside the box. I went over, thought for a while and then simply inscribed my name at the bottom left corner of the square. When questioned by anyone, I planned to simply say
"It's a work of Art with invisible colours......can't be seen by naked eye"
Just as I was about to leave, Poo called me and said:
Poo: "Can I throw all my extra colours in your square?"
That was a brilliant idea.........'What an idea Sirjee......oops....Madamjee'
Arushi, Anu and even Tilak and Anil joined Poornima in getting rid of their extra colours in my 'zone'. So....lo behold,,,,,my very first Rangoli:

The end product isn't that bad, considering that it was created in under 2 minutes.....even faster than Maggi!!!
I even got a consolation participation award - a large cream biscuit pack 'Cappachino flavour'. I went up to Poo, and gave up my prize to her.....it was her idea afterall.
You see.....Mr. M F Hussain is not the only one who gets accolades for drawing just about anything.......I've joined the group.
Thanks Poo :)
............
Ok fine, for all those who think my artistic skills are a real waste.....I wish to show you a sketch I drew and eventually coloured all by myself on 1st August, when Open-Silicon celebrated 5 years of completion.
People found it hard to guess what exactly I was drawing. One Manager who tried his best to guess, asked me questions like - "Is this the upper side or lower??........Is this water??......Is this land?"
But that did not discourage me.......the final outcome is here, for all of you to see and (if I may say it) admire.

The first person to guess what this is, gets a prize from me.
What prize....well, that depends on who guesses it first ;)
Next on my list is 'Singing'..........so help me lord!!
After I failed in the "Drawing Elimentary" exams in school, I had given up any hopes that I could ever paint or even draw. I somehow, managed to scrape through the "Engineering Drawing" subjects in first year of Engineering. I assumed that was the end of it. But I was wrong......
This last month was probably meant to change all that. On Tuesday, the Adminstartion staff, here in Open-Silicon, had organized a small celebration to mark the beginning of Navratri festival. Mails were sent out, informing everyone that there would be a 'Rangoli' function followed by 'Dandiya' in the evening. I was all set for the Dandiya and didn't even bother to check where the rangoli competition would be held.
Many of you might be wondering "What's Navratri got to do with Rangoli??".......
Well....My only answer is - "T.I.B - This is Bengaluru".
Just last Saturday, some 10 days after the end of Ganesh Chaturthi, a huge 6 foot Ganpati idol cropped up at the corner of Jagadish Nagar. On Sunday, the committee in-charge, organized a 'Dahi handi' festival followed by an orchestra comprising of a DJ who mainly played english hip-hop songs to please the lord!!!
Monday, as I was returning home from office....the idol was gone!! It was almost as if, a group of individuals thought to themselves, "There's nothing to do this weekend....lets have a Ganpati festival"......as I said - T.I.B Expect the Unexpected
Coming back to last Tuesday, it wasn't until after lunch, that I found out that our Table-Tennis room had been converted into a venue to host the Rangoli function. I walked in there and saw that a few people were giving finishing touches to their respective creations. The designs were all unique - Lord Ganesha, Colourful trees and flowers, Peacocks etc. A group of my Chinese colleagues had also contributed by drawing a yellow elephant, to show that they had blended well with our culture.
At the end of the hall Poornima, Arushi and Anuradha were busy completing their designs and Murali, like a good critic was showing them all the minor faults in their design. I decided to join him in his pursuit.
Me: (pointing to the rangoli) "What bird is this?"
Poo: "Actually we started with a Peacock, but now it looks like a Duck."
Me: "You know, it actually looks like a Swan.....but swans are not green in colour."
After the in-depth analysis, I saw an empty spot at the corner. The Box had been created to inform all that the rangoli had to fit inside the box. I went over, thought for a while and then simply inscribed my name at the bottom left corner of the square. When questioned by anyone, I planned to simply say
"It's a work of Art with invisible colours......can't be seen by naked eye"
Just as I was about to leave, Poo called me and said:
Poo: "Can I throw all my extra colours in your square?"
That was a brilliant idea.........'What an idea Sirjee......oops....Madamjee'
Arushi, Anu and even Tilak and Anil joined Poornima in getting rid of their extra colours in my 'zone'. So....lo behold,,,,,my very first Rangoli:
The end product isn't that bad, considering that it was created in under 2 minutes.....even faster than Maggi!!!
I even got a consolation participation award - a large cream biscuit pack 'Cappachino flavour'. I went up to Poo, and gave up my prize to her.....it was her idea afterall.
You see.....Mr. M F Hussain is not the only one who gets accolades for drawing just about anything.......I've joined the group.
Thanks Poo :)
............
Ok fine, for all those who think my artistic skills are a real waste.....I wish to show you a sketch I drew and eventually coloured all by myself on 1st August, when Open-Silicon celebrated 5 years of completion.
People found it hard to guess what exactly I was drawing. One Manager who tried his best to guess, asked me questions like - "Is this the upper side or lower??........Is this water??......Is this land?"
But that did not discourage me.......the final outcome is here, for all of you to see and (if I may say it) admire.
The first person to guess what this is, gets a prize from me.
What prize....well, that depends on who guesses it first ;)
Next on my list is 'Singing'..........so help me lord!!
Comments