A Monday
Bengaluru Productions in association with Hegde Pictures presents:
"A MONDAY"
"A MONDAY"
Directed by: Ami
Asst. Director: 'Yours' Truly'
Starring: Aashish (in his natural form) along with other friends, ex-roomates and colleagues.
It all started a few weeks back. Ami, like a very good wife, wanted to throw her husband, Aashish, a surprise birthday bash. She needed a 'Partner in Crime', and who better than her devar and good friend of theirs, who stays right next door - Me :)
She read me the whole script and I liked it immediately. The plan was simple - they were to travel to Munnar over the weekend and return home on Sunday at midnight, on the eve of his brithday. I was to plant a surprise gift and his laminated photo frame so that he gets a surprise when he opens the door. Later on Monday evening, we would invite all his friends over to his place and give him a bigger surprise when he walks home from office at 8pm.
We wanted to get a perfect surprise gift and gave it a lot of thought. We started from treadmill, exercise cycle, sun glasses and eventually finalized on a new mobile phone. We even gave one of his photos for enlargement and lamination. I was assigned the task of checking out the enlarged photo on Wednesday, so that it could be laminated and delivered by Saturday. But like a good Assitant Director.....I forgot!!!
I was only able to give confirmation on Friday morning, which meant I couldn't collect it before Monday.
The Director made me compensate my mistake. "Get a birthday card.....a Big one"
So, I went and brought a BIG Birthday Card and on Sunday night, a few minutes before their arrival, placed the gift, the card, a little flower and a candle on the coffee table for Aashish. I was helped in this arrangement by Nishat - the spot boy. (Sorry Nishat, this is south indian film politics....outsiders only get the designation of Spot Boys!!!.....I take all the credit)
The only other job Ami had given me was to collect 10 plates of Pav Bhaji and be at home before 8pm to surprise Aaashish. Again, like a very good Assistant Director......I reached late!!!
But the party was awesome and the arrangement was superb. Everyone had a hearty time. We shared a lot of jokes from office and our previous stay as roommates. Our dear Hemal was the usual target, but we tried to keep the Birthday Boy as our primary aim. Lights went off as the cake was cut and after a few rounds of photos we settled down for a sumptuous dinner made up of pav bhaji and home-made biryani.
It was almost 10pm when we all decided to leave. Nishat and Me thanked the host for the party and walked home looking forward to some sweet slumber. Little did we know that 'A Monday' was not yet over............
At around 10:45pm, we got a call from Aashish saying that Hemal, who was travelling home with Vineet and his wife had met with a minor accident. They were hit in the back by a water tanker. They were all safe, but we still decided to go to the accident spot to help out.
We met up with them at the HAL Traffic Police station, only to be told by the Inspector in-charge that the car needs to be present at the Station to lodge a F.I.R.
Inspector: "It's 10:30pm, Our towing guy has gone home. He will come tommorrow. You arrange for private towing or come tommorrow..."
Somehow, we convinced him to travel with us in our car to access the damage. The damage, as expected, was substantial. But we noticed that the rear bumper of the car was jammed into the left rear tyre and if we somehow manage to manually pull the tyre clear, we would be able to drive the car to the Station and lodge the F.I.R. So, the next 30 mins was spent in a lot of pulling, banging, kicking of the various body parts. We were helped in this ordeal by two drunk autowalas of Bengaluru, who then charged 100 bucks for their efforts.
Ohh...almost forgot....whilst all this was going on......out of nowhere it started to rain. We were all drenched and it was almost midnight by the time we finally managed to get the car to the station. Then started the long process of writing out the report.......
It was almost 1am by the time Nishat and me got back home. We spent a few minutes discussing the funny side of the two-wheeler accidents that we've been involved in, here in Bengaluru and finally dozed off to some much-needed sound sleep.......
She read me the whole script and I liked it immediately. The plan was simple - they were to travel to Munnar over the weekend and return home on Sunday at midnight, on the eve of his brithday. I was to plant a surprise gift and his laminated photo frame so that he gets a surprise when he opens the door. Later on Monday evening, we would invite all his friends over to his place and give him a bigger surprise when he walks home from office at 8pm.
We wanted to get a perfect surprise gift and gave it a lot of thought. We started from treadmill, exercise cycle, sun glasses and eventually finalized on a new mobile phone. We even gave one of his photos for enlargement and lamination. I was assigned the task of checking out the enlarged photo on Wednesday, so that it could be laminated and delivered by Saturday. But like a good Assitant Director.....I forgot!!!
I was only able to give confirmation on Friday morning, which meant I couldn't collect it before Monday.
The Director made me compensate my mistake. "Get a birthday card.....a Big one"
So, I went and brought a BIG Birthday Card and on Sunday night, a few minutes before their arrival, placed the gift, the card, a little flower and a candle on the coffee table for Aashish. I was helped in this arrangement by Nishat - the spot boy. (Sorry Nishat, this is south indian film politics....outsiders only get the designation of Spot Boys!!!.....I take all the credit)
The only other job Ami had given me was to collect 10 plates of Pav Bhaji and be at home before 8pm to surprise Aaashish. Again, like a very good Assistant Director......I reached late!!!
But the party was awesome and the arrangement was superb. Everyone had a hearty time. We shared a lot of jokes from office and our previous stay as roommates. Our dear Hemal was the usual target, but we tried to keep the Birthday Boy as our primary aim. Lights went off as the cake was cut and after a few rounds of photos we settled down for a sumptuous dinner made up of pav bhaji and home-made biryani.
It was almost 10pm when we all decided to leave. Nishat and Me thanked the host for the party and walked home looking forward to some sweet slumber. Little did we know that 'A Monday' was not yet over............
At around 10:45pm, we got a call from Aashish saying that Hemal, who was travelling home with Vineet and his wife had met with a minor accident. They were hit in the back by a water tanker. They were all safe, but we still decided to go to the accident spot to help out.
We met up with them at the HAL Traffic Police station, only to be told by the Inspector in-charge that the car needs to be present at the Station to lodge a F.I.R.
Inspector: "It's 10:30pm, Our towing guy has gone home. He will come tommorrow. You arrange for private towing or come tommorrow..."
Somehow, we convinced him to travel with us in our car to access the damage. The damage, as expected, was substantial. But we noticed that the rear bumper of the car was jammed into the left rear tyre and if we somehow manage to manually pull the tyre clear, we would be able to drive the car to the Station and lodge the F.I.R. So, the next 30 mins was spent in a lot of pulling, banging, kicking of the various body parts. We were helped in this ordeal by two drunk autowalas of Bengaluru, who then charged 100 bucks for their efforts.
Ohh...almost forgot....whilst all this was going on......out of nowhere it started to rain. We were all drenched and it was almost midnight by the time we finally managed to get the car to the station. Then started the long process of writing out the report.......
It was almost 1am by the time Nishat and me got back home. We spent a few minutes discussing the funny side of the two-wheeler accidents that we've been involved in, here in Bengaluru and finally dozed off to some much-needed sound sleep.......
Comments