The 'Raman' effect

Just yesterday, I strolled into the little 'Crossword' store in Gopalan Signature Mall on Old Madras Road and as I entered, I heard a man talking on the phone.
"I am in C.V Raman Nagar." he said and at that point of time I just realized that out of a few lakh people staying in this area atleast 90% would probably have no idea who Sir C.V. Raman was!

I did a little hunting and found what I was looking for - 'C.V. Raman - An Autobiography', the only copy available, took a little chair at the corner and decided to read a little more about Sir Chandrashekara Venkata Raman, one of the few Nobel Laureates from India (or to be honest born in India) and the first Indian to be awarded this medal for his research in the field of Physics.

 
Sir C.V Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930 for the research he conducted in the UK and he mentions that on the day he won the award, he looked up and saw the Union Jack flying over his head and suddenly realized his own country, India, did not even have a flag of it's own.

This and many other thoughts brought Raman back to India where he worked as the Director of Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and founded several other scientific research institutes in Bangalore. He strongly believed in two principles; one that scientist should be allowed to conduct research in an atmosphere free of any diplomacy or bureaucracy and second that all scientific research should be aimed towards welfare of human society. Infact, he was so revered amongst the research community that the area in Bangalore where the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and it's partner firms were setup was named after this great man as C.V Raman Nagar in which I stood yesterday.

However, I am not entirely sure of his two principles are being followed to the core by todays' researchers cause just last week the DRDO celebrated the successful launch of it's AGNI V missile, which apparently took 10 years to become a success and is aimed towards the destruction of humanity!

Whatever the case, India needs many many more people with the vision and broad minded thinking of Sir C.V. Raman to feature more prominently on the Nobel Laureates list for India. Until then none of us should forget the contribution of this little man and the 'effect' he has had on our lives in every little way.

Comments

Nishat said…
Absolutely right ! And people should also learn to distuinguish between C.V. Raman and C.V Raman Nagar :)

....India needs many many more people with the vision and broad minded thinking of Sir C.V. Raman nagar to feature more prominently ....LOL !

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Arranged Marraige

Ebbanad - II

A Fairytale....