Working Women
Just last week, my dad celebrated the 30th anniversary of the business that he started back in 1982. 30 years of 'G.N Shanbhag and Co', means a great deal to me for obvious reasons. My Dad has been my biggest role model throughout my life and I have to thank him for everything that I am today. I also remember working for him during my 7th or 8th standard holidays and am proud of my minuscule contribution to his achievement. However, I wanted to highlight something that happened just before his business began.
It was the April of 1982 in the Shanbhag household @ 7 Ashwin, Ghatkopar, Mumbai. We stayed as a joint family, like so many other Mumbaikars, with my Grandparents, my Uncle, Aunt, Nitin, Mom, Dad and me.
But in the first week of April, my Grandfather retried from his respectable job as a Canara Bank Manager, my Uncle who worked for Abbott labs had a factory shutdown and my Dad quit his job in VIP Industries and sat home. With all 3 male earning members at home, my Mom happened to be the only working member who would leave for office in the morning!
Quite an embarrassing scenario for her in 1982, but how things have changed today. Working women have made things so much easier for us men. I have no idea how they balance their work life with household chores. Honestly speaking even now, Prachi works double harder than me, yet she had the patience to come home and cook the yummiest Methi Chicken for me yesterday. I do my best to help out, but my culinary skills suck big time in comparison to hers.....so heres' a big Thank You for all the women in my life. I have no idea what I would do without all of you!!
Now, for those of you wondering how I knew about what happened in April 1982, when I was just 6 months old - My Mom told me this just yesterday ok!! - Happy?
Comments